Friday, July 29, 2016

The Inspiration for The Stacked Barn — Stacked Barn - Chapter 3

I photographed this barn that lives very near to my house. Like many of the barns on the east end of Long Island, it is devoid of any trim or ornamentation, totally shingled and very simple right down to the ground.
(Image credit: Maxwell Ryan)

I've always loved my old house and didn't want to change the layout too much, but I definitely wanted to use my design chops to figure out how to make it work EVEN better. When you've lived a long time in a home, you really get to know it and exactly what sort of changes you'd like to make.

I also wanted to make it simpler in design, so that it no longer looked like a suburban house and more like a shingled barn, which are totally native to this part of Long Island. I was also inspired by the long barn shaped museum that Herzog de Meuron had designed for the Parrish Art Museum in Southhampton (pictured below).

READ MORE »



from Apartment Therapy | Saving the world, one room at a time http://ift.tt/2aDjsBi

No comments:

Post a Comment